Thursday, August 30, 2012

"You are all a lost generation."


     ‎"'Oh Jake,' Brett said, 'we could have had such a damned good time together.'
     Ahead was a mounted policeman in khaki directing traffic. He raised his baton. The car slowed suddenly pressing Brett against me.
     'Yes,' I said. 'Isn't it pretty to think so?'" 
-The Sun Also Rises, Ernest Hemingway

Since I first stumbled on this book in high school, I have made it a point to read it once a year. I put everything else aside and just read this book. There are many many poignant moments throughout, but those last few sentences always grip me the most--isn't it pretty to think of the life we could have had?

I'm starting to get used to transition in my life. I have now decided to withdraw from my graduate program and seek employment here in the Seattle area, all the while searching for a new place to live. Don't get me wrong, it was difficult coming to this decision, and every once in a while, I think oh gosh, this isn't right either! Then I remind myself: who am I kidding? I'll never move forward with anything if I continually wonder on what I've missed out--the whole resolution in leaving the program is knowing that I came here, and I tried it; it didn't work out, so at least now I won't have to wonder my whole life if I missed this grand opportunity. 

But it begins again--the tugging my limbs in every which direction: head East and move with Katlin; stay West and make it work; go South to Arizona. Knowing that my...well, I guess I don't have an original plan and/or a back-up plan, so let's call them Plan North and Plan South...knowing that Plan North didn't quite work as anticipated leaves so much opportunity for Plan South. Now I have that same wonder...am I missing out?

There's this odd balance in my mind. Seattle feels right in terms of community; this is the place where I can be independent and become my own person. Arizona feels comfortable, safe; I know the places; I know people--family is a strong tie, and there is such comfort in that. And yet, I do have family in Seattle, and there is comfort there too. 

Maybe I'm afraid of the clouds, and I want to run away before they invade. Maybe I'm afraid of this unfamiliar urban setting. Maybe I'm afraid of...Scratch all of that. I'm afraid of being alone, and by choosing to stay in Seattle I am making a definitive decision because if I go to Arizona, I could be just as alone. I'm afraid of taking big risks. 

Moving across the country once was enough. During the process, I learned how these things ruin friendships--how distance can wipe out any connection between too people. I'm afraid of closing that gap because I'm afraid of losing it again. There are so many ties and implications connecting these thoughts that I'm not even sure if they make sense any more. Take it as you will, but here it is:

I'm afraid, that one day, I will find myself in Spain with a close friend where there was so much opportunity that never happened, and during that brief pause where the car's tug touches our shirtsleeves, we will look at each other and know, that damn, we missed out. 

Note: Title quote comes from beginning of The Sun Also Rises. It is a quote by Gertrude Stein.

No comments:

Post a Comment