Monday, January 28, 2013

Thinking About Contentment In Creativity

A big personal goal for this new year is to be content.

From Wikipedia: "Contentment is 'acknowledgement and satisfaction of reaching capacity'"

One of my favorite parts about college was the opportunity to do everything that I loved all at once. I got to write and make art and lead. Of course, beneath each of those is a series of sub-groups.

Write:

  • Poems
  • Essays
  • Long nonfiction
  • Blogs
  • Journals
Art:
  • Paint: acrylic & watercolor
  • Sketch: charcoal & pencil
  • Throw Clay
  • Knit
  • Play guitar & bass
  • Sing
Lead:
  • Organize
  • Schedule
  • Manage
My new job takes care of leadership quite easily. My current role is a project manager: it's really my thing--a quality that I've always seen as a bit of a contrast to my want for creativity (though my personal vision of creativity is quite structured as well). I love to gather ideas and make them happen. Sure, I get some art and some writing at work: visual acuity is a must in PowerPoint (which is actually really fun) and I write a lot of technical stuff (emails, slides, notes, etc.), but none of that fully satisfies my thirst to create.

I can't quite figure out what it was about college that made the days feel longer. I could accomplish so much it seemed. I could go to bed at 11 or 12 and sleep in until 9 and still have enough time in the day to go to class, read like mad, write, do homework, and on and on down the list. 

As it is, I seem to spend every moment engaged in activity. I read on the bus commute to work. I have focused work all day (which passes so quickly; I think the second-hand is broken). I read on the commute home. When I get home, I sift through a variety of options. During the winter/holiday knitting season, I spent much time on that. 

It all just comes in waves: sometimes I'll feel really musical and learn several new songs for guitar, but then I might not play again for a week or two. 

Sometimes I'll just want to be outside and go hiking and not be able to sit in my room with a book. 

Sometimes, I can't do anything until I paint--it might even be a part of a painting, just enough to get through the surge. 

Sometimes I can't even sleep until I write.

I've learned that all of these things brew. I may not do a painting for several months, but during that absence of the act, I think about it in the back of my mind; I mentally paint the same thing over and over until it finally pushes out onto paper or canvas. I write constantly in my mind, but such a small percentage makes it to the page. It's all very fluid.


It's great; it's really great. I feel super blessed to have such wide-spread interests and activities that I whole-heartedly enjoy, to have such a lifestyle that can support these things. I do not know the meaning of "boredom."

Nevertheless, it's so frustrating. I want to do everything at once, be everywhere at once. The result: I dabble into pieces of everything in small quantities. My writing life has suffered because I have wanted to knit. My music has suffered because I've wanted to read. It all swirls in a pitcher of creativity. When you pour a glass, you never know what you'll get.

The glass is full. The flavors are luscious. 

I am constantly in fear that what I do is not enough. Nothing ever seems enough to let me be content. I don't know who I'm trying to please. I just want to feel full and happy and be satisfied with the life I have chosen. I feel so submerged in that right now that it makes me worried that something terrible will come of it. Can such a general good feeling really exist?

I hope so. 

2 comments:

  1. 'Reaching capacity' is misleading, I might argue even detrimental. I wouldn't think about it as reaching capacity in what you do but who you are when you're not doing anything--there's true spiritual contentment, and one that requires the daily discipline of realizing how much we are loved and adored by the one who made us. If you ever reach it, let me know. I'm still working.

    As for all the art. . .so wonderful. You wouldn't be able to be an artist if you were ever 'content' or 'reached capacity.' It's enough to be there when the unformed lump of clay begins speaking to you, telling you what it might become.

    Rock on, you of the full life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is contentment in the hope for, maybe not capacity, but a sense of feeling full. As you said, "full of life". Like taking a nap after a hefty meal, but you're not just happy because your belly is full but because you enjoyed good company and the future does not worry you if only for a minute or two.

    So good to hear from you! I cannot wait to see you and hear what adventures you lovely people have been up to (:

    ReplyDelete