Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Permanent

I need a change.

I looked in the mirror and contemplated my reflection from every angle. 

After having just settled in to a city across the country, only to drop out of the school that I moved there for, then taking several short trips to other cities, then coming back, you'd think that I've had enough change, at least for a few months. Apparently not. 

I watched the long strands of hair give in to waves along my ears. 

"I want to perm my hair," I said to Laura as I walked into my room.

"Then do it."

"Really?"

"Why not?"

"I don't know."

So I did.

Here's a photo venture:

BeforeDuring  After

I had to post the "during" photo because 1) it's funny and 2) looking at my hair all up in curlers reminds me of my grandma. My grandma always used to put my hair in pink and purple foam curlers. I would sit down on the blue shag toilet seat cover (or was it pink?) in her bathroom as she did my hair and put bright red lipstick on my tiny lips. "Curlers in your hair; shame on you!" she would chime. 

And after she died, the curlers sat under the sink in my mom's bathroom, and from time to time, we would get them out, and my mom would say the same thing, "Curlers in your hair..." I remember sleeping in them a few times. I must have been in kindergarten, judging from my school pictures. And I got my hair cut short to boyish length in the third grade and have generally kept it quite short ever since, which also means that it's been since elementary school when I last had my hair in a perm. Oh the funny things that we do to ourselves.

But I like the change. It's nice to have things like curling our hair: change that we can control--how big of curls do you want? wave or spiral? 

Here's my usual 'do now. I feel spunky!


No comments:

Post a Comment